Emily S. Davis
Emily’s practice focuses on family law, with a commitment to enabling clients to reach out-of-court settlements through negotiation, mediation and Collaborative Law. Her services include preparation of premarital (ante nuptial) agreements, divorce and civil union dissolutions, parentage and domestic partnership matters, and post-divorce issues in Vermont and New Hampshire.
Emily’s experience extends to resolution of complex and high asset family conflicts, and to representation of clients in appeals to state supreme courts.
Divorce is, for most people, one of the worst experiences of their lives, and can leave lasting emotional and psychological damage to themselves and their children, as well as unnecessary financial losses. Whenever possible, Emily counsels clients through a process of non-adversarial advocacy. When reasonable and cooperative resolutions are impossible to achieve, Emily brings her vast litigation experience as a trial attorney into the courtroom, either directly or with the collaborative participation of other principal members of the firm.
Emily has completed over 100 hours of training and conference participation in mediation and Collaborative Law.
Associations, Activities, Awards and Recognitions (selected)
- Vermont Bar Association
President (1998-1999)Board of Managers (1993-2000)
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- Collaborative Law Alliance of New Hampshire
- Appointment as Acting Judge in Family and Civil Divisions of Vermont Superior Court
- The Best Lawyers in America in Family Law – selected by peers for inclusion since 2015
- Vermont Supreme Court Oversight Committee for the Family Division (since 2000)
- Spousal Support and Maintenance Task Force (for Vermont legislature) 2017-2018
- Vermont Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules for Family Proceedings (2004-2012)
- Vermont Citizens’ Justice Conference – co-chair (1998-1999)
- Vermont Supreme Court Commission on the Future of the Vermont’s Justice System (1998-1999)
- Vermont Bar Foundation, Board Member (1995-1998)
- Award: Vermont Supreme Court and Family Court Oversight Committee, for dedication and service to the Vermont Family Court
- Award: Vermont Volunteer’s Project for Pro Bono Service